Saturday, July 12, 2014

Technique Crazy! Counterfeit Kit Challenge #2

Our next Counterfeit Kit Challenge for this month is deceptively hard.  At least for someone who is OCD (raising my hand).  I woke up early this morning **thanks so much neighborhood firework rule breakers for setting them off HOURS after the curfew** and thought I would jump right into this challenge with a card.  Easy Peasy, right?  NOT!  My Easy Peasy card took me 2 hours.  Yep.  2 hours.  I am just that awesome as I am trying to figure out a new to me technique.

Challenge:  Combine Techniques:  Use at least 3 techniques on your project

I do have to say that normally my brain is full, so I like to lean on sketches a bit too much, but focusing on the techniques developed into a completely Bethany Original card that I love.

I'll walk you through my process, but feel free to skip down and just look at the card.  I will never know.  LOL  I highlighted my Techniques.

#1:  Picked a focal piece of paper (hearts) and layered it on yellow and black
#2:  Cut out a heart layered shape on a piece of white card stock
#3:  Cut the negative space and layer it on the heart paper, off setting it a bit so it goes off the card
#4:  Use Gloss Medium Gel and paint it thickly over a stencil that says Hello on the bottom of the negative heart space..let it dry
#5  Spray Mist over the negative space card and wipe off the mist from the HELLO...glue it to the right side of the card
#6  Take the inside heart and stamp a background on it
#7  Leave the outer layered heart white and glue it into the negative space...place the stamped heart in last negative space
#8  Stamp a shape to layer over the heart (I picked an owl that I paper pieced)
#9  Stamp another heart to layer over the owl
#10  Use washi tape to make a pleated "ribbon" and attach to the side of the card
#11  Attatch a button with twin to the pleated "ribbon"
#12  Add some enamel dots around the edge of the heart



Gel Medium is completely new to me.  I have seen a form of it on different blogs, but could not find the product they used.  I did find (at Hobby Lobby) Liquitex Basics Gloss Gel Medium and am happy to find it works well.  You can use it as is or mix it with some paint to color it.  It dried quickly and was pretty easy to use.  I know I will have fun using it on more projects to add some texture and interest.

I was pretty happy to have pulled out my washi and used it in a bit of a different way.

So, overall I am happy with how my challenge came out.  It took some time, but it came together really quickly and easily.

Make a challenge project of your own and don't forget to:
1.  Link it to Mr. Linky
OR
2.  Save it for our end of the month blog hop and e-mail us at counterfeitkitchallenge@yahoo.com to let us know you want to participate at the end of the month!

5 comments:

Tina Campbell said...

Wonderful card and very interesting that you did the pleated look with washi tape, I'll have to give that a go :) I like the Bethany original it's a sweet card :)

Margie said...

Love it! The techniques you tried went together beautifully! Did you ever get my email? I was just wondering because you haven't responded-if you just haven't had the opportunity, that's totally cool, just curious!

LCSmithSAVED said...

I love your little owl SO MUCH.
I also love that your challenge was such a challenge to YOU, lol!
Nothing like stretching a little & trying new things, and a card is the perfect format to give it a go.
Well done!

Susanne said...

This is so cute. It looks like you had lots of fun.

Julene Matthews said...

Cute owl card.I like the process that you used to achieve this.